Apr 21, 2011

Taking care of your skin

I have really sensitive skin, and have tried multiple skin cleansers over the years.  After years of red and raw looking cheeks, acne, and dry/ oily skin my parents finally took me to a dermatologist.

My doctor told me that a good facial soap should not get sudsy and frothy.  Often we think the more that the soap suds up, the more clean our skin is getting.  Actually, that causes break outs to happen more often. And you know that stinging you sometimes feel from facial cleansers like Clinique's three step cleanse? Not good! Your skin should never feel like it is tight and stinging.  That feeling does not equal clean; it equals damage.

I was recommended Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser.  I have used it on my face for about 6 years now.  It is so gentle on my skin that I can use it to take off my eye makeup without it even bothering my eyes! Then I use the facial lotion for the areas around my eyes, lips, forehead, and neck area.  It is incredibly moisturizing without the greasy feel.

My skin is difficult to define.  Some areas on my face are oily, and some are dry as the desert.  Solution? Moisturize the dry parts, and leave the oily parts alone.  Voila! Uniform skin.

When you switch over, it typically takes your skin about 6-8 weeks to adjust.  In the meantime, you might find breakouts to be more common.  Persevere! It will be worth it when your skin adjusts and your acne clears up for good.

Tip of the day:  Moisturize your face every day to prevent wrinkles!  And don't forget your neck- you don't want to be a 40 year old with a crease-free face but a wrinkly neck : )

1 comment:

  1. I watched you use Cetaphil all throughout college and never thought to try it myself. That's the brand my dermatologist recommended to me when I was getting those dry patches on my face from my hair gel allergy (haha, I sound so messed up). She said Cetaphil is by far the best brand for skin care. I will try it!

    (Notice that I trust you more than my dermatologist!)

    ReplyDelete